JAPAN ADVENTURE

Welcome to Margie & Stan's Japan Adventure - our photo blog while living on MCAS Iwakuni in beautiful Yamaguchi Prefecture in Western Japan from 8/2004 to present. My photo above is the famous Kintai Bridge right here in Iwakuni. Be sure to check out Blog Archive (below left) for highlights of our travels. And leave us a comment - we'd love to hear from you! Click on photos to enlarge.
**WHEN YOU GET TO THE BOTTOM OF A PAGE, CLICK "Older Posts**
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

JAS Meeting

Last night, I attended a Japanese American Society meeting at the local community center in Iwakuni. There were about 100 people there, about half American and half Japanese. I did not take pictues because it not socially acceptable there. As I went in, I was required to take off my shoes. There were slippers provided, but my feet would only go in about half way so I walked about in my socks. Interestingly, when I got home and took off my socks they were not dirty on the bottom. (They were dirty on the tops, but that is another story.) The meeting started with announcements about the upcoming festivals. Spetember 28, there is a Full Moon festval at the local castle. (See http://iwkn.at.infoseek.co.jp/enghome.htm for pictures of the castle.) There will be an Octoberfest on October 17. I don't know what it is about, but there will be beer so I will be there.
After the announcements, the new people introduced themselves. Then we sat down and ate dinner together. The dinner was cooked earlier by the cooking class. Adults come and learn to cook Japanese, Indonesian, and other styles of cusines. For our dinner, we had Pizza (from Pizza Hut, not from the cooking class), fruits, pickles, olives, tempura (shrimp), rice, and curried tempura. Everything was delicous.
As we ate, we talked to each other. The Guigins tried their Japnaes and the Nipons tried their English. I was sitting across from two young girls. One is a social worker and she works here in Iwakuni. She lives in Yanaii and drives to work. Her commute takes about 40 minutes one way and the distance is less than 20 miles. There is heavy, heavy traffic in this small town. The other girl is a nurse's aid. She does not drive. Neither are married. I cannot spell their names. As I was eating my rice with my chopsticks, the Social Worker asked me if I used chopsticks is the USA. I replied that I did and then (in Japnaese) I said that I was not very skilled at it. When I said that, the Nurse screamed, jumped up and ran off. So, I am not sure exactly what I said, but I have two theories about it.
1) I could have said something like, You are wearing ugly combat boots and so does your mother.
2) She thought that I understood Japanese and was embarassed at the aside remarks she had been making to her friend about me such as, he is the funniest looking Guigin I have ever seen or Look at his cheesy moustache.
I prefer to think it was the second theory that will prove to be correct. I am checking with my cutural staff here at school to try and find out what I really said. The votes are not in yet. After the meeting, we all cleaned up just like we do at church suppers.
My popularity took an upswing, in spite of my bad language, when they found out I was from Alabama. It seems that a very popular and well known movie over here is Gone With the Wind. I told them that Alabama is next to Georgia where Tara is. I also told them about the Tara theatre in Atlanta and that I have a daughter in Atlanta. Rhett Butler still makes some of the women weak in the knees. I was asked if I was Rhett Butler. I suppose it is because I look so much like him. I wanted to say yes I was, but I had a twinge of honesty.
I think I will be allowed to go back. I will keep you posted about future meetings.

No comments: