JAPAN ADVENTURE

Welcome to Margie & Stan's Japan Adventure - our photo blog while living on MCAS Iwakuni in beautiful Yamaguchi Prefecture in Western Japan from 8/2004 to present. My photo above is the famous Kintai Bridge right here in Iwakuni. Be sure to check out Blog Archive (below left) for highlights of our travels. And leave us a comment - we'd love to hear from you! Click on photos to enlarge.
**WHEN YOU GET TO THE BOTTOM OF A PAGE, CLICK "Older Posts**
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, September 17, 2004

Bike Riding on Mike the Bike

Yes, I named my bike. My daughter Sherri says that only real bikers name their bikes. On formal occasions I refer to him as Michael the Cycle. Friday Mike and I went to town and went to have dinner with the school counselor. He knows all the short cuts and back roads. The ride took about 1 hour to the restaurant.

Saturday, Mike, Windley (the school counselor), and I went benjo riding for about 2 hours. Benjos are sewage ditches that go in back of the houses like alleys do in the USA. They used to be open, but are covered now which is why we can ride on them. You get to see a lot of interesting landscaping, buildings, houses, and rural life. It is almost totally silent in the neighborhoods. Japanese are very quiet people. The only sounds that could be heard was the rattling of our bikes on the pavement.

Sunday I went out and rode for about 4 hours. The 4 hours was not planned. I was looking for Deo Deo, an electronics store and I had trouble finding it. I stopped occasionally and asked directions (Don't tell Bill I did that) by asking, Deo Deo doco des ka? "Literally it means, Deo Deo where is? The people I asked loved helping me. I understood some of what they said so I went as far as I got on that set of directions and asked again. Finally I got there. I was tired, but I felt good. I did not over do. I stopped occasionally and drank cold green tea.

I bought Mike fenders to keep the rain off my butt, and a light (required) because sometimes I ride at night. Helmets are also required. I ride on the sidewalks whenever possible to stay out of the traffic. It is legal here to ride on sidewalks. Also, it is legal to ride your bike in the shopping malls so I do that too. There are even parking lots and parking garages dedicated to just bicycles.

Saturday, I am going to Nafco (our version of Home Despot) to buy a luggage carrier for Mike. I will have to modify it to make it fit. I have tried to find this at all the bike shops here in town. Because Mike has disc brakes, the luggage carriers available here will not fit. I am really enjoying Mike. I will try to get a picture of me on Mike as soon as I can. Maybe this weekend I will take some good pictures. I am going exploring. Look for an entry about it soon.

2 comments:

darekaaron said...

Just had to comment... "Michael the Bicycle" gave me a good laugh. Thanks

Steph said...

That's too funny. Michael the Cycle. And I remember when you were Stan the Man with the Tan Van. ;)

That's so neat that they ride bikes so much over there - that it's part of their culture. Imagine how much healthier we would be here in the states if everybody rode bikes all over, and ate rice and fish and green tea...