JAPAN ADVENTURE

Welcome to Margie & Stan's Japan Adventure - our photo blog while living on MCAS Iwakuni in beautiful Yamaguchi Prefecture in Western Japan from 8/2004 to present. My photo above is the famous Kintai Bridge right here in Iwakuni. Be sure to check out Blog Archive (below left) for highlights of our travels. And leave us a comment - we'd love to hear from you! Click on photos to enlarge.
**WHEN YOU GET TO THE BOTTOM OF A PAGE, CLICK "Older Posts**
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Happy 65th Margie!

We usually ride our bikes downtown, but since I'm not quite 100% yet, we took a taxi to the Blue Bird Restaurant. It's behind the YMCA, past the big raised parking lot (that seems to be closed now?) and take a left at the flower shop, down a dark alley. Yep - here it is - our favorite place to celebrate here in Iwakuni.


Stan & Margie at the Blue Bird . . . we talked about eating here with Nancy & Eldon a few years ago before they moved to Italy. And other friends we've brought here over the years . . . but tonight it's just us.


I have one perfect, pink, long-stemmed & VERY fragrant rose. Thanks, Stan!


We ordered drinks and our first appetizer course arrived. Clockwise from top: Salmon carpaccio wrapped around a melon ball, crab roll, quiche, and zesty lemon shrimp on a lemon slice. Perfect & delicious!


And the hot bread - baked fresh here of course, comes out of the oven just in time to arrive with our soup (pumpkin, asparagus? - anyway, creamy & delicious.) The round roll appears to have been created by rolling out the pastry, sprinkling with bits of ham & white cheese, and then slicing & baking like sweet rolls. These breads are so rich they never need butter. YUM!


Salad course with salmon sashimi and fresh greens that seem just picked. Look how fancy the lemons have been cut. Oh - and the tiny tomatoes are always peeled. We have NEVER been disappointed here! It's a bit pricey (which is why we only come a few times a year), but it's ALWAYS consistently delicious . . . and of course the price includes everything except our alcohol & we only had one each.


And my favorite course - ebi (shrimp) en croute! Shrimp head & tail are baked into the pastry to create an origami-style Japanese crane. SOOOO perfect! And yummy . . . This dish alone earns the Blue Bird it's reputation as French cuisine.


Stan had steak (of course!) with a spoonful of cheesy mashed potatoes, one small baked eggplant, and tomato/shredded veggie garnish. As always when we eat here, he said this was THE most delicious beef he's ever had. His set was the Takamori beef filet steak course at 3150 Yen - @ $38 US.


And by the time my main course arrived, I was already full, but I made a valiant attempt & had the rest wrapped up to take home. From the top: Abalone (I think), small very tender white fish bite, fried shrimp (made me think of my friend Sue!), eggplant, potatoes, and small shredded veggies. Mine is called the Ladies' Seafood Course and was the same price (I think.) But of course no tipping in Japan. So, I'm not a cheap date - especially since we took a taxi! Oh well - I'm worth it!


Closer view of my perfect pink rose. You can't tell from here, but the outside is darker than the inside & of course in Japan, roses always are VERY fragrant!


Actually, by having my main course wrapped to go, I saved a little room for dessert & coffee - am I brilliant or WHAT? Four perfect little dessert entrees. (For those who are local here in Iwakuni, our local on-base travel agent can make reservations for you to eat here - HIGHLY recommended!)


Me at the table with my rose. Guess this is what 65 looks like . . . I never wear my hair down, but it seemed appropriate for this BIG birthday!


Looking from our table into the kitchen. This restaurant is VERY small - just a few tables, and I think you can only eat dinner here by reservation now. I worry about them staying in business - seems to be a "mom & pop" enterprise, and usually the couple are the only ones in the kitchen. But tonight there were several other servers, so that was encouraging. Often when we eat here, we are the ONLY customers, but tonight there was also a large table of Japanese women - girlfriends - who were having a great time. Made me homesick for mine . . .


Two of the kitchen helpers are making fresh oatmeal cookies. Of course the owner always gives me extra bread and her fresh cookies with my leftovers.


Kite on the wall near our table.


I continued to celebrate my birthday for a week while cards & packages continued to arrive - what fun! Nothing like milking it for all it's worth. Now 9 days later, my rose is STILL fresh & fragrant and has opened to reveal the lighter pink center. I don't know how they create such fabulous roses here . . .

When you reach the bottom of a page, click "Older Posts" below right to continue!

2 comments:

Steph said...

You look great with your hair down, and do not look nearly 65 (seriously, you and Holly could be sisters)! Happy birthday! :)

kaytie said...

Happy Belated Birthday Margie! Sorry I didn't get on here sooner to wish you a wonderful year where all your wishes come true!