JAPAN ADVENTURE

Welcome to Margie & Stan's Japan Adventure - our photo blog while living on MCAS Iwakuni in beautiful Yamaguchi Prefecture in Western Japan from 8/2004 to present. My photo above is the famous Kintai Bridge right here in Iwakuni. Be sure to check out Blog Archive (below left) for highlights of our travels. And leave us a comment - we'd love to hear from you! Click on photos to enlarge.
**WHEN YOU GET TO THE BOTTOM OF A PAGE, CLICK "Older Posts**
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Vehicles Lose Shine in Japan . . .

Jake sent me this article & I wanted to share it with all of you. Young people are shunning the trappings of consumerism - and that's worrying (Japanese) carmakers. . .

TOKYO - To get around the city, Yutaka Makino hops on his skateboard or rides commuter trains. Does he dream of the day when he has his own car? Not a chance. Like many Japanese of his generation, the 28-year-old musician and part-time maintenance worker says owning a car is more trouble than it's worth, especially in a congested city where monthly parking runs as much as 30,000 yen ($551), and fuel costs fluctuate wildly. . .

Read more of this interesting 2-page story here: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/article.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10551142

1 comment:

Kristen Pesnell said...

Hi, My name is Patrick and I was on flight from Birmingham to Chicago with you guys last summer. I have kept your card and checked your blog from time to time just to see what was new with you all. My wife has since started a blog of our own to keep me up to date while I am traveling. Our blog address is Http://pesnellfour.blogspot.com/ . I have really enjoyed your blog and hope you will enjoy ours. I hope all is well with your family.