JAPAN ADVENTURE

Welcome to Margie & Stan's Japan Adventure - our photo blog while living on MCAS Iwakuni in beautiful Yamaguchi Prefecture in Western Japan from 8/2004 to present. My photo above is the famous Kintai Bridge right here in Iwakuni. Be sure to check out Blog Archive (below left) for highlights of our travels. And leave us a comment - we'd love to hear from you! Click on photos to enlarge.
**WHEN YOU GET TO THE BOTTOM OF A PAGE, CLICK "Older Posts**
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, September 23, 2004

"The Loaner"

After five days of constant rain and more to come, I decided to buy a car. Actually, I have been thinking about it for quite a while. I got tired of begging rides to places out of bike range. There are many places I want to explore and some of my collegues are not as adventerous as I. So with that in mind, I went car shiopping.
I knew what I wanted and after a few weeks of looking, I found just the right car. It is a white 95 Mazda MPV. Sound familiar? That's right, I bought almost the same car here that I sold in the USA.
I went to the dealer today to get the title. My car will not be ready for another week. Here in Japan, the vehicle inspection takes two days. It takes another two days to get the car detailed and cleaned. I really wanted a car for this weekend so I asked the salesman, Tom, who is also owns the dealership for a loaner. He said, "You want a loaner?"
"Yes," I replied, "I was planning to go to Yanaii on Saturday"
Heavy pause.
Finally Tom shifted his eyes to the floor and said, "Sid. Bring around the loaner."
Sid asked, "The loaner?"
Well, if you have ever seen the Jim Carey movie, The Mask, you will have the gist of what happened when I got "The Loaner." Pictures are included on the blog.
Actually it is not such a bad car. I mean, all cars have to pass the JCI inspection to be road worthy. So, I will drive "The Loaner" for about a week and then get my car. When I do, I will send pictures of it.

No comments: